Tuesday, September 30, 2008

So you want to make hair bows?

I have a ton of links to free hair bow instructions in my "favorite links" area that helped me get started. I don't believe in paying for instructions, personally. There are so many free resources out there.

Another great place to start is in Yahoo Groups. My advice would be to join several bow making groups and see which one makes you feel warm and welcome. Ask questions and see how your fellow group members respond. There are tons of groups where people ask questions and share ideas. Don't worry about being the newbie. We were all newbies once.

If anyone makes you feel inadequate, just know that they feel threatened. The economy is troubled right now, and honestly bow sales are down. Many bow makers are catty, and don' t want you treading on their territory. I think this is ridiculous. They don't own your ribbon, or your daughter's hair. I would not stay in a group that is unfriendly for any amount of information. There are other groups!

As a bow maker, I have found that there are two types of mothers that put bows in their daughters hair: those that are crafty and have the time, and those that would rather buy them. If you are the crafty type, like me, welcome to your newest addiction... RIBBON! Sometimes my living room looks like the Offray factory exploded!

I started making hair bows after the birth of my daughter Emily. She is the youngest of 7 kids (Brady bunch), the oldest 6 of whom are boys! I was just tickled pink! I wanted the whole world to know Emily was a GIRL! I didn't want hair bows, I needed them!!!

So girlfriend, I understand why you are here. I hope to share with you all of the information that I searched for that helped me to get where I am today. As I find the time (hahahaha mom of 7 going to college for her RN), I will post free hair bow instructions of my own as well. Enjoy!

No comments: