Monday, July 13, 2009

What? No eggs?!

I'm always so proud when my fiance says that something is good, because he is such a good cook. He has his favorite cake from childhood, Betty Crocker's cherry chip cake mix with cherry frosting, which I usually make for him every year. He saw me in the kitchen and said, "What? You're making a cake from SCRATCH?". He's a little skittish about trying new things. I'm pleased to say that he liked this one so much that he asked me to make it again on his birthday!

Crazy Cake

INGREDIENTS

* 3 cups all-purpose flour
* 2 cups white sugar
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 2 teaspoons baking soda
* 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
* 3/4 cup vegetable oil
* 2 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
* 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
* 2 cups cold water

* add to recipe box Add to Recipe Box
My folders:
* add to shopping list Add to Shopping List
* Customize Recipe
* add a personal note Add a Personal Note

DIRECTIONS

1. Sift flour, sugar, salt, soda, and cocoa together into a 9 x 13 inch ungreased cake pan. Make three wells. Pour oil into one well, vinegar into second, and vanilla into third well. Pour cold water over all, and stir well with fork.
2. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 30 to 40 minutes, or until tooth pick inserted comes out clean.

Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting:

8 ounces Cream Cheese @ room temp
1/2 cup Margarine @ room temp
1 tsp Vanilla
3 cups Confectioner's Sugar
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder

Mix with an electric mixer on high until light and fluffy (I used my Kitchen-Aid).
This frosting is fabulous!

No comments: